2010-05-02

Birdwatching in Yambaru, Okinawa Day 1 (April 17, 2010)

I hadn't been able to go birding due to too much work for a while.

As I had a mission in Naha, Okinawa on 16 April and free days in the weekend, I decided to go to Yambaru, where I had never been before.

I hired a car in Naha in the Friday evening and left Naha around 5:30 AM in the morning.  Driving to Nago City was confortable without heavy traffic.  After Nago City, I followed route 58 toward Kunigami Village.  Accordingly my friend, northern tip of Okinawa island is a good point to see 3 target species.

Before going to the northern end, I dropped off at Hiji Waterfall (Hiji-no-Otaki).  Immediately after getting off the car at the car park, I heard several calls of Ryukyu Robins.  Yes, the Robin was found at the camp site! 

In the camp site, I was also very lucky to see  a male Okinawa Woodpecker.  The woodpecker reminds me Maroon Woodpecker or Orange-backed Woodpecker of Southeast Asia.

Hiji Waterfall is a famous site for Ryukyu Robin.  I saw at least 10 individuals (both male and female) within 2 hours.

During day time, although I visited northern Kunigami Village, I did not have a chance to see anything noteworthy. 

In Cape Hedo, I enjoyed watching several Blue Rock Thrushes.  The rock thrush is very common in Okinawa and is found even in downtown. 

Japanese Pygmy Woodpecker is common in forest in the village while Great and Varied Tits are frequently seen. 

In the late afternoon, I spent my time for looking for Okinawa Rail in northern parts of the village.  Around 5:30 p.m., I finally found an individual of rail nearby the road. 

Ryuku Robin (male)



No comments:

Post a Comment